Frequently Asked Residence Life Questions

When is Move-In Day for Fall 2024?

Move-In Day for the Fall 2024 semester is Saturday, August 17, 2024.

Who picks my roommate?

If you are a first year or transfer Ƶapp, you are able to list your prospective roommate on your housing contract. You must have your desired roommates explicitly request you as well. We will only honor those requests from both Ƶapps. Requests must be mutual to be considered. If you don't list anyone, don't worry, we'll match you with someone that has similar interests and living styles as you.

If you are a returning Ƶapp, you have the opportunity to choose your roommates at the annual housing sign-ups that take place at the beginning of May each year. If you don't choose roommates during this process, you will be matched with roommates after the Spring semester based on your expressed preferences.

Are freshmen allowed to have cars on campus?

Students are normally not permitted to have a car during their first year. Exceptions are sometimes made in case of employment or medical issues that require transport. To request an exception, please email

Ƶapp Student Government sponsors $5 off two rides per day with Uber; This program is called MUber. Students should visit the Student Hub page for instructions regarding how to register for a MUber account with their Ƶapp email.

Are pets allowed on campus?

With the exception of guide dogs or bona fide service animals and fish in aquariums with a combined capacity of 10 gallons or less, no pets are allowed in campus housing. Fish may be kept in rooms with the agreement of all roommates. Fish must be removed from the residential areas during long breaks.

Any exception to the pet policy must be approved by the Director of Residence Life, or designee prior to the animal’s arrival on campus. If you would like to request a service animal, please refer to the Assistance Animal Policy.

Can I bring a refrigerator? What about a microwave?

If you are a freshman, you are not permitted to have a refrigerator or a microwave in your rooms. There are microwaves located in the main lobby of every floor for you to use. Although, you are allowed to have mini-fridges or micro-fridges in their rooms. For upperclassmen, a refrigerator is provided in each apartment/townhouse for roommates to share.

Do I have to live with other people? Is a single available?

Living with others is an invaluable college experience and one that fosters the development of good communication and compromising skills, as well as the appreciation for diverse cultures and lifestyles. Single rooms are available, if building occupancy allows for it, only in Baldwin and McAuley. Warde Hall has only double rooms. There are no single occupancy apartments available on campus. Triple apartments are offered when occupancy allows, where one resident would have a small bedroom to themselves and two roommates would share the larger bedroom.

Single rooms are only assigned to freshmen with appropriate medical documentation.

Do I need to purchase extra long sheets for my bed?

Yes. The mattresses provided in the rooms are extra-long, with the exception of Baldwin Hall.

Does the university offer storage for my stuff over the summer?

We offer storage for individuals with a permanent home address of 6 or more hours away from campus, but is limited availability and comes with a fee. All personal belongings must be removed at the end of the academic year. Items left in living units will be discarded.

How can I hang posters and pictures on my walls?

The Office of Residence Life does not condone the use of any particular product to secure posters, pictures, wall hangings, etc. The use of adhesive, putty, glue, paste, nails, staples, and screws, on walls, furniture, and doors is not permitted. Use caution when decorating and removing decorations to avoid causing permanent damage to surfaces, as you will be assessed repair costs for any damage to your room.

How much does it cost to do laundry?

There is no charge to do laundry.

What are quiet hours? When are they?

Although it is not possible to accommodate the needs of every Ƶapp regarding sleep and study time, "quiet hours" and "courtesy hours" have been  established to provide an atmosphere that is conducive to study, sleep and relaxation. "Quiet hours" refer to those times when the buildings must remain especially quiet. During quiet hours, noise of any kind should be confined to the privacy of your own room/apartment. From Sunday to Thursday, quiet hours begin at 10 p.m. and end at 8 a.m. the next day. On the weekend, quiet hours run from midnight to 11 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. In addition to quiet hours, reasonable quiet must be maintained 24 hours a day. This policy is referred to as "courtesy hours."

24 hour quiet hours will be in effect from 6 p.m. on the last day of classes until 6 p.m. on the last day of finals.

What is a Resident Assistant? What is a Hall Director? What is an Assistant Director? What do they do?

A Resident Assistant (RA) is one of the first people you will meet and get to know when you move into your building. He or she is a full-time Ƶapp and is also responsible for the smooth functioning of their building. In addition to handling many administrative tasks (such as opening and closing the buildings, managing move-in and move-out, completing Apartment Inspection Report forms, etc.), your RA is there to help you and other residents as individuals, as roommates, and as members of the MU community. RAs go through a careful selection process and extensive training and are great resources if you have any questions, problems, or concerns.

An Assistant Director (AD) is a full-time professional staff member who lives on campus and is responsible for the supervision of HDs and RAs and the development of strong communities.

Residence Life staff members for Freshman Area Halls are on-duty every night during the regular academic year. The schedule for who is on-duty and how to contact them is so posted on the bulletin board on every floor of the residence halls.

What if I lock myself out of my room/apartment?

First, try to reach a roommate to let you in. Next, try to reach your RA to let you in. If neither your roommate or RA is available to help, Police and Safety can always be reached at 814-824-2304 and can give you access to your room/apartment.

What information do I need to know about parking on campus?

All Ƶapps eligible to have a vehicle on campus will need to register the vehicle with Police and Safety. They will then receive a parking pass designating where they are allowed to park on campus. First-year Ƶapps living in the Freshmen Area are not permitted to bring vehicles to university.  
If you have friends and family visiting, visitor passes are available from Police and Safety at 814-824-2304.

What should I bring to my room?

In general, you should bring all of the items that you need on a day-to-day basis (linens, cosmetics, toiletries, clothing), academic support materials (computer, dictionary, high school notes), as well as items that are personally important to you (photos, mementos, posters).

Please refer to our Packing Suggestions Checklist for specific information on items you will need to bring to your room.

What should I not bring to the housing complex?

Some items are prohibited in the housing complex for reasons of health (pets), safety (candles or other burning substances) or law (alcohol in any apartment/suite where underage Ƶapps reside).

What will be provided in my room? In the apartment/suite?

Each room is furnished with a bed frame, mattress, dresser and closet space, a desk and chair per Ƶapp. All windows have mini-blinds for privacy. A couch, one chairs, a kitchen table and chairs are provided in the apartments and townhouses. The kitchen area in all apartments and townhouses is equipped with a full size refrigerator, stove, oven, and sink. For further specifics, please visit the Freshman Housing webpage and the Upperclassmen Housing webpage.

What's my address and how do I get my mail?

Please use the following format as your mailing address:

Student Name  
Ƶapp University  
501 E. 38th Street  
Erie, PA 16546

For example:

Jane Smith  
Ƶapp University  
501 E. 38th Street  
Erie, PA 16546

Upon checking in on move-in day, you will receive a letter with all of your mailing information.

What if I lose or damage my Student ID (OneCard)?

If you lose your OneCard, do not panic. Once you realize your card has been lost, contact the OneCard Office. They can issue a temporary card that will allow limited access to meal plans and specific door access that will provide you an opportunity to find the lost card. If a card is lost after the OneCard Office operating hours, please contact Police and Safety can help you. Additionally, the OneCard ManageMyID website (which you can find through the Hub) can be used at any time to report your card lost to protect your available balance.

There is a cost of $35 to replace your OneCard.

OneCard Office  
Lower level of McAuley Hall (next to Police and Safety)  
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.  

When will I be notified of my roommates, building, and room?

New first year Ƶapps are notified by mail of their room and roommate assignments no later than the second week of August. If you have not received your information by then, please contact the Office of Residence Life at or 814-824-2422.

What if I don't like my roommate(s)? How will I get another one?

Successfully sharing space with another person requires communication, collaboration, and compromise. While most Ƶapps live well together, there are times when roommates do not get along. To keep problems from occurring, all residents will complete a Roommate Agreement at the beginning of the academic year. We encourage you to take this process seriously, as considering lifestyle differences before they become a source of tension is often helpful.

However, sometimes problems do occur. In these circumstances, we encourage you to communicate with your roommate(s). If this doesn't work, we encourage you to turn to your Resident Assistant for help. He or she can suggest ways to improve communication with your roommate(s). If that is not successful, we may suggest a meeting with all roommates, where the RA will act as a mediator.

The Roommate Agreement form will be reviewed and possibly revised at this meeting. It is important to remember that resolution of tension and  disagreements between roommates requires cooperation from each of the individuals. You should not expect the problem to be "fixed" without your whole-hearted and full cooperation, which may require you to adjust your behavior as well as your roommate(s) doing the same. A room change is usually the last resort.

Who cleans my room?

Students are responsible for the cleaning of their own rooms and apartments. Housekeeping staff clean the public areas: lounges, hallways, and lobbies.